April 18, 2010

Bolu Kukus (Steam Cake)


I categorized this cake as an old fashion cake. I knew this cake since I was a little and I like it so much. Memory of good foods always last for a long long time as my sister said. Yes, for sure !! This one is in memory in my motherboard brain. ;-D

The texture is soft, and it comes with many flavors. The basic is only vanilla flavor, but you can combine with chocolate (everybody favorite), mocha, and sometimes people use red color, yellow, green to make this cake come beautiful.

The first time I made this cake the mixture is to thick, my husband like it. He said it is real "kue kampung" which means village cake. But my families said it's not perfect yet, they want more softer. Ok then, I tried the second time with my nieces --when in one afternoon time they said they were hungry--, but the results it was not good at all.. ha-ha-ha ! Maybe because we had too much fun in our kitchen..

Today-- for the third time, after promise to my husband to make this cake again, I success to made this cake. He likes this cake so much since for the very first time. He like the green tea flavour that I made, likes to smell of the green tea and this cake is "kue kampung" like he said.. Anyway, I won his heart for made this cake !

Ingredients :

4 Pcs Egg
500 gram Sugar
4 cups Water
3 Tbs Condensed Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
600 gram All Purpose Flour (Shifted)
1 Tbs *TBM
1/2 tsp * VX -- made from composition of : sodium bicarbonate, Acid Pyrosphosphate and corn starch.

* - available in baking section at your grocery store.

Directions :

* Mix water with condensed milk and vanilla, set aside.
* Beat Eggs with high speed in mix bowl.
* Add sugar into mixture and continue to beat until well dissolved.
* Add milk into the mixture slowly.
* Add TBM and VX.
* Turn the mixer to slow speed, and add the flours to mix bowl.
*
When all well combined, turn off the mixer

* Prepare the steamer , boil the water.
* Line the steam cups with baking or "Pao" paper.

* you can mix the batter into another bowl with chocolate, mocha, etc. I tried green tea and it comes really good.
* Scoop batter into steam cups about 2/3's full.
* Steam the cakes with steamer in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
(Do not open the lid until ready)






No comments:

Post a Comment