January 30, 2011

Lapis Legit (Indonesian) ~ Spekkoek (Dutch) ~ A Thousand Layer Cake (English)


If Tiramisu is the one of the most popular cakes for Italian, I can say LAPIS LEGIT is the one of the most popular cakes for Indonesian. The cake is enjoyed during special celebrations like Birthday, Idul Fitri (Ramadhan), Christmas, etc. In my childhoods life, I always can found this cake in every single house that I visited during Lunar New Year (Chinese New Year), even until now.

The cake has firm, soft texture, and you can smell the fragrant of a spice-flavored (spekkoek) combined with the sweetness taste from this cake. The cake requires lots of patience to bake and all the multilayered cakes made by pouring a small amount of the batter from a small cup used a top of the flame from the oven, baked them one layer after another until more than 30 layers! This cake is very special, It is difficult and need a lot of patience to make. For me, if I am not happy and not put love to make this cake, definitely will failed. I got this recipe from my mum who got this from my grandma, just said, this is our family recipe. I can said in my generation, I am so lucky can keep this recipe for the future. :)


Why this cake is very special, the truth is use a lot of eggs yolk, butter and of course has a lot of calorie in every piece :( Celebration is celebration, the day is we celebrate something special occasion. That's time we are not really count how much calorie for every food that we enjoyed, we just love the the time when we gathered together.. We share the story, share the laugh, share the love.. That is why I can give my appreciation for this cake as the goddess cake !



INGREDIENTS :


2 kg (30 - 32) Eggs Yolk
8 Pcs White Eggs
500 gram Sugar
700 gram Margarine
250 gram Wisjman & Zonen - Dutch Butter
200 gram All purpose flour - shifted
1 tbs Vanilla powder
2 tbs Spekkoek Powder
35 tbs Sweet Condensed Milk
35 tbs Milk Powder


DIRECTIONS :

1. Beat the eggs yolk and sugar in the mixing bowl until well combined.
2. Add the Butter and Margarine,continue to beat until the mixture smooth and creamy.
3. Put into the batter Vanilla and Spekkoek Powder.
4. Stop Mixer or put in the lowest speed, mix the batter with flour.
5. In separate mixing bowl, beat eggs white until fluffy.
6. Put the eggs white into the batter and mix gently until well combined.
7. Grease with butter and flours the baking pan. (25cm x 25 cm and 10 cm depth)
8. Using a cup, fill the batter into the cup and mix with 1 tsp of milk powder and 1 tsp of condensed milk.
9. Pour the batter from the cup into baking pan.
10. Bake in preheated oven, only used the heat (flame) from the top of the oven, until evenly golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and repeat procedure no:8, and make around more than 30 layers or until the batter is finish.


3 comments:

  1. where can i get spekoek powder? what is it look like?

    -lyn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyn ! I am so sorry for my late reply !

      Spekoek powder is mix spices of cinnamon, clove, mace and anise. They are sell in Indonesian Baker Supplies.
      If you are in SIngapore or Malaysia, I am really sure they also have this ingredients since this cake also famous among them.

      I hope you can find it near your place. Happy Cooking and Thanks to visit this blog !

      Delete
    2. you may mix 2 tsp mixed spice with 1 tsp cinnamon too

      Delete